Douglas Scotti of Sarmato

Click here to 
Print this page


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it. Apologies for the poor translation!

The territory of the City of Sarmato was derived from the aggregation of the Scottish feud, the fellowships of Veratto, Pontetidone and Agazzino, inhabited, then very populous.

The documented history dates back to 1216 when the militia of Piacenza and Milan gathered under its walls, waiting to make war on the pavement enemies and in 1270 the fortress, then defended by the Pallastrelli family, was attacked and seriously damaged by the militias of the Lord of Bardi , Count Ubertino Landi, one of the leaders of the imperial faction.

The Pallastrelli di Sarmato, whose story is related to the tradition of S.Rocco and S.Gottardo, had to sell in 1363 and moved to Portugal where they got honors and privileges and a descendant of Gottardo Felipa Perestrello (actually Pallastrelli) married l Explorer Cristoforo Colombo, discoverer of the Americas.

The fortress and the rich feud of Sarmato then passed to the rich merchant Bartolomeo Seccamelica, which was invested in 1376 by Galeazzo Visconti, then Lord of Milan. To defend the fort of Sarmato Seccamelica had to undergo in his manor a long siege of the Guelas faction Who captured him and imprisoned him. His wife and all his sons were killed except one female, Margherita.

Though married, despite belonging to a hostile family of imperial power, the noble Giacomo Scotti, nephew of Alberto Scotti "The Rich" Lord of Piacenza, bringing to this family the fief and lands of Sarmato. Scotti's rule, and in particular Count Alberto Scotti, was undermined in the first half of the 1900s at the Arcelli Fontana, Counts of Val Tidone, and by the Milan Counts Verme, and with Luigi Dal Verme held Castel San Giovanni .

From the second half of the 14th century, the fief returned to the ownership of the Scotti-Douglas accounts until 1819 when, with the death of the last heir - Countess Luigi Scotti-Douglas da Sarmato - passed for female inheritance to the accounts Zanardi Landi of Veano who still preserve it, and began a gradual recovery and enhancement path.

Domenico Maria Scotti Douglas, count of Sarmato (1751-1854), had the Scotti palace built in via San Siro in Piacenza
He was father of
Pietro Scotti Douglas, Conte di Sarmato 1792-1863 who married in 1799 as his 1st wife Teresa Costa (1801-1823}
parents of
Giovanni Battista Scotti Douglas, Conte di Sarmato 1819-1823
Giuseppina Scotti Douglas, who married Ranuzio Anguissola Scotti, Conte di Podenzano 1808- (1)
Pietro Scotti Douglas, Conte di Sarmato 1792-1863 also married as his 2nd wife Elena Trivulzio, Donna 1802-1868
parents of
Alberto Scotti Douglas, Conte di Sarmato (1826-1850) aged 24 years old

Countess Anna Anguissola Scotti, b. 1850, daughter of Count Ranuzio Anguissola Scotti and Giuseppina Scotti, married Ubertino Landi and was then known as Anna Landi di Chiavenna. She is a Douglas Scotti on her mother's side (Giuseppina Scotti Douglas). While she had children with her husband Ubertino, she later had an extramarital relationship with an English correspondent which resulted in the birth of a daughter who was raised in one of the family castles under the care of nuns, andlater adopted by a local family.

Countess Luigia Douglas Scotti d'Adda (Portrait above) was possibly the wife of Luigi Douglas Scotti of Sarmato, who was last of that line.

1.  The visiting card is probably that of His Excellency Ranuccio Giuseppe Anguissola Douglas Scotti, Count and Lord of Rivergaro. Giuseppina Anguissola Scotti (born Scotti Douglas dei Conti di Sarmato) married Ranuccio Anguissola Scotti. They had one daughter: Anna Landi di Chiavenna (born Anguissola Scotti).  (Rivergaro is a commune in the Province of Piacenza.)
2.  Referring to Torre Fornello, an important manor residence, especially during the months of the harvest:- 'In 1682, Luigia Scotti Douglas, descendant of the noble Scottish family and widow of Count Zanardi Landi, Grand Duke of Tuscany, left the property to her daughter'.
3.  Built in ten years starting from 1772, Palazzo Scotti di Sarmato has a simple external elevation with three orders of twenty-five windows with an unusual decoration in relief on the tympanums of the first floor, representing busts of naturalistic motifs, warriors, ladies and masks. The portal is surmounted by the great Scotti noble shield and shielded by a wonderful wrought iron gate in two spiral panels separated by two horizontal neoclassical frames with a central coat of arms. The internal articulation, on the other hand, is particularly interesting, with the vast courtyard bordered by the side wings extending towards the large garden that overlooks the Stradone Farnese.
The conception of the project could be traced back to the famous architect from Romagna Cosimo Morelli, even if the documents mention only the master builder Giuseppe Marioni, due to the evident stylistic similarities with Palazzo Anguissola di Grazzano, in particular, in the layout of the courtyard punctuated by full arches centre and its internal faηade, punctuated by doors, windows and pilasters of neoclassical style.
4.  Illustrious personalities stayed in Palazzo Scotti di Sarmato such as Napoleon who arrived in Piacenza as a conqueror during the crossing of the Po by his army and Pope Pius VII who crowned Napoleon.

See also:
•  The Douglas Scotti families of Fombio and Sarmato tree
•  Douglas Scotti of Fombio
•  Douglas Scotti origins
•  Scotti properties in the Piacenza area (External site)
•  Castello della Bastardina
•  Onofrio Scotti, d1602

For more on the Douglas Scotti families of Italy, see our Italy portal.




Sources for this article include:

• multiple

Any contributions will be gratefully accepted



Back to top


The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Friday, 17 May 2024