Gourock Castle

Click here to 
Print this page

 

 


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

A small and unimportant castle held by the Douglases til 1455 when The Stewarts of Castlemilk took ownership

Above the village of Gourock (now a sizeable town), stood a castle of the same name, the principal messuage of the barony of Finnart Stewart, which, in the reign of James II., by the forfeiture of the Earl of Douglas, came to Stewart of Castlemilk.

Gourock Castle, the seat of the barony of Finnart-Stewart, stood above the town of Gourock; it was pulled down about 1747. In 1856, the site was pointed out by Major Darroch (proprietor) , who stated that a few stones, visible near the edge of the Gourock Burn, formed part of the original foundations. In the reign of James II (1437-60) it was forfeited by the Earl of Douglas and passed to the Stewarts of Castlemilk.

No trace of the castle building remains. The site is marked by a small, flat-topped mound.


Gourock House


Gourock House had once been one of several fine properties in the district that disappeared during the previous century. Although no definitive construction date had survived, references suggested that the mansion had been raised in the first half of the 1700s, standing within expansive grounds later absorbed into Gourock Park. Its site eventually became a large open space.

Tradition held that part of the building incorporated a fragment of an older castle, long associated with the Douglas family, and local lore claimed that the Black Douglas had once resided there. That remnant of the castle was said to have been taken down around 1847.

The estate passed through several hands: first the Letham family, and then, in 1784, it was purchased by the Darroch family, lairds of Gourock. In May 1923, Gourock Town Council acquired the mansion from the Darrochs for £10,000. Nearby stood the Darroch vault, containing the remains of members of the family.

Over time, Gourock House served many roles. It hosted social gatherings, dances, parties, and operated as a tea‑room. During the war it functioned as an A.R.P. post and control room. By the mid‑20th century, however, the building had become dilapidated and dangerous. It was demolished, and the Town Council had not yet determined the future use of the site.


Contributions
Do you have an ancestor whose story should be told here?  Please let us have the details.


Source

 

Sources for this article include:


  • Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






     

    Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Sunday, 08 March 2026