Group Captain Gilbert Eric Douglas (RAAF), 1902-1970


Gilbert Eric DouglasKnown as Eric, Gilbert Eric Douglas (1902-1970), air force officer, was born on 6 December 1902 at Parkville, Melbourne, second son of Gilbert Douglas, watchman, and his wife Bessie, née Thompson, both Victorian born. Educated at Swinburne Technical College, Eric served three years in the senior cadets before joining the Australian Air Corps in November 1920. He enlisted in the (Royal) Australian Air Force on 31 March 1921 as an aircraftman class 2, fitter aero, and gave his religion as Methodist. Douglas's early postings were to No.1 Flying Training School, Point Cook (1921 and 1922-29), and No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton (1921-22). He graduated as airman pilot on 1 December 1927 and was promoted substantive sergeant in October next year.


On 22 November 1922 Douglas had been front-seat passenger in an Avro 504K which attempted to land at Mascot, Sydney. Realizing that the aircraft was about to hit a fence, he stood up: the crash 'propelled him forward' and he was found 'squatted astride the crankshaft, unconscious and bleeding', when the plane came to rest. His quick reaction had saved his life. In 1928, while he was passenger in a test-flight of the Warrigal I, the pilot was unable to recover from a spin. Ordered to abandon the aircraft, Douglas got to his feet: his tall, spare frame 'apparently varied the air flow over the tail', enabling the pilot to regain control and Douglas to resume his seat.


In April 1929 he flew a D.H.9A to the Northern Territory to join Charles Eaton's team in the search for the ill-fated crew of the Kookaburra, Keith Anderson and Bob Hitchcock. Douglas was one of the ground party which left Wave Hill on the 24th and reached the Kookaburra's forced-landing site in the Tanami Desert. He helped to bury Anderson and Hitchcock, and was recommended for the Air Force Medal for his part in the mission. On 1 August he was promoted pilot officer.


Gilbert Eric DouglasFollowing the decision to equip the British, Australian and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition with a Gipsy Moth seaplane, Douglas and Flying Officer Stuart Campbell were selected to accompany the explorers on their polar voyage in the summer of 1929-30. The pilots made reconnaissance flights and guided the ship, Discovery, through the ice. Because of his mechanical knowledge, Douglas had prime responsibility for maintenance of the aircraft. The expedition's leader Sir Douglas Mawson also took the Moth and its pilots on the second B.A.N.Z.A.R.E. (1930-31). A flight by Douglas and Mawson on 27 January 1931 almost ended fatally due to a mishap when the plane was being hoisted on board Discovery. In 1934 Douglas was awarded the Polar Medal.


From May 1931 Douglas performed instructional duties at No.1 Flying Training School. On 6 January 1934 he married Ella Sevior at Christ Church, South Yarra, with Anglican rites. Promoted flight lieutenant in July, he commanded the R.A.A.F. contingent in Discovery II which sailed in December 1935 for the Bay of Wales, Antarctica, to search for the American explorer Lincoln Ellsworth and his pilot Herbert Hollick-Kenyon. On 15 January 1936 Douglas flew over the United States' base, Little America, and sighted Hollick-Kenyon. Both men were safe and Ellsworth made the return trip to Melbourne in Discovery II. He and Douglas became close friends; Douglas named his son Ian Ellsworth.


Transferring to engineering duties in June 1937, Douglas returned to No.1 Aircraft Depot in command of the Technical Squadron's aircraft repair section. By July next year he was back at No.1 F.T.S. as engineer officer. He introduced sailing as a recreational activity for cadets and test-flew aircraft when required. Promoted temporary wing commander, in June 1940 he assumed command of No.1 A.D. In June 1942 he moved to Queensland to command No.3 A.D. at Amberley where he was responsible for servicing aircraft of the Australian and U.S. air forces. On 1 December 1943 he was promoted temporary group captain and in August 1947 became commanding officer of R.A.A.F. Station, Amberley. He retired on 1 July 1948 in the rank of group captain.


In 1949-60 Douglas was a civilian technician with the navy's Aircraft Maintenance and Repair Division, Melbourne. Survived by his wife, son and two daughters, he died of cardiac disease on 4 August 1970 at Heidelberg and was cremated.

Source: Australian Dictionary of Biography

Father: Gabriel (Gilbert) Douglas, b. 3 Oct 1869, Victoria, clock and watch-maker
Mother: Bessie Thompson, b. in 1873 in Spencer Street, Melbourne , d. Yes, date unknown



Eric with the Duke of Gloucester
Group Captain Eric Douglas (left) with the Duke of Gloucester


His first cousin was Percy Douglas


Additional information supplied by his daughter, Sally



This page was last updated on 30 September 2021

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder





























Index of first names


Errors and Omissions

The Forum

What's new?

We are looking for your help to improve the accuracy of The Douglas Archives.

If you spot errors, or omissions, then please do let us know


Many articles are stubs which would benefit from re-writing. Can you help?


You are not authorized to add this page or any images from this page to (or its subsidiaries) or other fee-paying sites without our express permission and then, if given, only by including our copyright and a URL link to the web site.


If you have met a brick wall with your research, then posting a notice in the Douglas Archives Forum may be the answer. Or, it may help you find the answer!

You may also be able to help others answer their queries.

Visit the Douglas Archives Forum.


2 Minute Survey

To provide feedback on the website, please take a couple of minutes to complete our survey.


We try to keep everyone up to date with new entries, via our What's New section on the home page.

We also use the Community Network to keep researchers abreast of developments in the Douglas Archives.

Help with costs

Maintaining the three sections of the site has its costs.  Any contribution the defray them is very welcome



If you would like to receive a very occasional newsletter - Sign up!
Temporarily withdrawn.