DALMAHOY THE EARLY YEARS
For hundreds of years our estate was in the possession of the Dalmahoys. The first of the line known is Sir Alexander de Dalmahoy, who gave permission in 1265 for the monks of Newbattle to pass through his lands.
The estate was then acquired by the Dalrymples. Accounts vary as to exactly when this was, but a letter written in 1716 suggests the Dalmahoys were still in residence then. If so, the Dalrymples must have come to the estate soon after, because records show that George Dalrymple completed building work on the present house in 1725.
The Dalmahoy estate was then purchased by James Douglas, 14th Earl of Morton. A letter dated 1750 from the Earl of Morton to his son, Lord Aberdour, appears to confirm the house was acquired that year.
Lord Morton, President of the Royal Society at the time, was influential in obtaining a grant of £4,000 to finance Captain James Cook’s voyage to Australia in 1768.
Consequently, in May 1770, Cook named the newly discovered Morton Bay (near Brisbane, Queensland) after Lord Morton, although this was misspelt as Moreton Bay in the published accounts of Cook’s voyage in *HMS Endeavour*. This ‘typo’ remains to this day.
DALMAHOY
OUR RECENT HISTORY
Dalmahoy House remained as the Douglas family home until 1920, when it was leased to Crammond Golf Club, which subsequently became Dalmahoy Golf Club. The famous East Course was designed by James Braid and opened for play in 1927.
During World War II, Dalmahoy was registered as 123 Prisoner of War Camp and, from the limited accounts available, held both German and Italian prisoners. The camp remained in use until 1946, almost a year after VE Day.
The house later became the Members’ Clubhouse, and in 1978, a Country Club, administered by the Earl of Morton. Country Club Hotels leased the property in 1988 and constructed a new hotel and leisure centre. The Morton family still resides on the estate and maintains strong ties with Dalmahoy.
Dalmahoy’s golfing heritage attracts golfers of all levels, looking to test their skills where the European ladies won their first Solheim Cup in 1992, and where famous names, such as Seve Ballesteros, Sam Torrance and Nick Faldo have competed in various high profile professional events over the years including the Scottish Senior Open. Apart from the impressive 18th hole, the East Course now boasts two signature holes on the 13th and 14th which were added during a course refurbishment in 2005.
In 2016, Dalmahoy became a fully independent hotel, giving us the opportunity to further strengthen our position as one of Scotland’s premier hotel and country clubs, whilst still retaining all the historic charm and period features of the original manor house.
DALMAHOY
THE HOUSE AND GROUNDS
The origin of the name Dalmahoy is unclear. It could come from the Gaelic ‘dail‑mathuath’, meaning either ‘field to the North’ or ‘field of the fold’, or it could derive from ‘Dail‑ma‑hoig’, meaning ‘view to the East’. The latter seems most likely as the original house faced east, with views to Edinburgh Castle and Arthur’s Seat.
A long avenue led from the house to the now disused East Gate and rumour is that a tunnel ran all the way to Edinburgh Castle, although this has never been found. The east side of the house remains unaltered and can be recognised by the attractive, curved double staircase. In 1787 an extension and alterations were made, designed by Alexander Laing. Further alterations were made in the 1830s by William Burn and in 1851 by Brown and Wardrop.
St Mary’s Scottish Episcopal Church is located just inside the estate’s North Gate, today’s entrance. It was commissioned in 1850 by Lord Aberdour and his first wife, Helen Watson of Saughton, to enable Episcopalians of the parish to worship in their chosen faith.
Helen is commemorated in the southern lancet of the West Window, and by Lady Aberdour’s Steps that lead through the churchyard wall towards the Gogar Burn. Stained‑glass windows are also dedicated to the memories of Admiral George Henry Douglas and his young daughter, Alice Frances Douglas, who died in 1852, aged just nine months. Both are buried in St Mary’s private churchyard.
See also: •
Dalmahoy myths and
mysteries
Contributions Do you have an ancestor whose
story should be told here? Please let us have the details.
|