Douglas Scotti of Sarmato

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

Sarmato Torre Fornello  Countess Luigia Douglas Scotti  visiting card 

 


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it. Apologies for the poor translation!


The territory of the City of Sarmato was derived from the aggregation of the Scottish feud, the fellowships of Veratto, Pontetidone and Agazzino, inhabited, then very populous.

The documented history dates back to 1216 when the militia of Piacenza and Milan gathered under its walls, waiting to make war on the pavement enemies and in 1270 the fortress, then defended by the Pallastrelli family, was attacked and seriously damaged by the militias of the Lord of Bardi , Count Ubertino Landi, one of the leaders of the imperial faction.

The Pallastrelli di Sarmato, whose story is related to the tradition of S.Rocco and S.Gottardo, had to sell in 1363 and moved to Portugal where they got honors and privileges and a descendant of Gottardo Felipa Perestrello (actually Pallastrelli) married l Explorer Cristoforo Colombo, discoverer of the Americas.

The fortress and the rich feud of Sarmato then passed to the rich merchant Bartolomeo Seccamelica, which was invested in 1376 by Galeazzo Visconti, then Lord of Milan. To defend the fort of Sarmato Seccamelica had to undergo in his manor a long siege of the Guelas faction Who captured him and imprisoned him. His wife and all his sons were killed except one female, Margherita.

Though married, despite belonging to a hostile family of imperial power, the noble Giacomo Scotti, nephew of Alberto Scotti "The Rich" Lord of Piacenza, bringing to this family the fief and lands of Sarmato. Scotti's rule, and in particular Count Alberto Scotti, was undermined in the first half of the 1900s at the Arcelli Fontana, Counts of Val Tidone, and by the Milan Counts Verme, and with Luigi Dal Verme held Castel San Giovanni .

Finally, from the second half of the 14th century, the fief returned to the ownership of the Scotti-Douglas accounts until 1819 when, with the death of the last heir - Countess Luigi Scotti-Douglas da Sarmato - passed for female inheritance to the accounts Zanardi Landi of Veano who still preserve it, and began a gradual recovery and enhancement path.

Notes:
1.  The visiting card is probably that of His Excellency Ranuccio Giuseppe Anguissola Douglas Scotti, Count and Lord of Rivergaro. Giuseppina Anguissola Scotti (born Scotti Douglas dei Conti di Sarmato) married Ranuccio Anguissola Scotti. They had one daughter: Anna Landi di Chiavenna (born Anguissola Scotti).  (Rivergaro is a commune in the Province of Piacenza.)
2.  Referring to Torre Fornello, an important manor residence, especially during the months of the harvest:- 'In 1682, Luigia Scotti Douglas, descendant of the noble Scottish family and widow of Count Zanardi Landi, Grand Duke of Tuscany, left the property to her daughter'.


See also:
•  The Douglas Scotti families of Fombio and Sarmato tree
•  Douglas Scotti origins
•  Scotti properties in the Piacenza area (External site)

 

Sources

 

Sources for this article include:

xxx

Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

 



The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Wednesday, 20 November 2019