Redcastle

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names

Redcasle Date stone 

 

A mansion in which several portions of an older edifice have been incorporated. The building seems to have been originally a structure of an elongated L plan, with a staircase in the re-entering angle. The hall would in that case occupy the large central apartment, with private room at the east end. Two angel turrets on the west wing are of some age. Probably not earlier than the 16th. c., the castle, at the end of a steep sided promontory, occupies the site of a much older structure. It was here that William the Lion, in the 12th.c., erected the fortress of Ederdour.

Redcastle belonged in 1230 to Sir John Bysset, in 1278 to Sir Andrew de Besco and in 1455 the Black Isle was annexed to the Crown. The castle was in the possession of Hugh Douglas, Earl of Ormonde(1), who was executed in 1455, when Redcastle reverted to the Crown.  It came into the possession of the MacKenzies in 1570 who held it until 1790. By 1492 the castle and its lands were under the control of Kenneth Mackenzie, 7th of Kintail, and they remained in the possession of Clan Mackenzie until 1790. It was burned to the ground in 1659 when Rory MacKenzie joined Montrose.

Redcastle, historically known as Edirdovar and Ederdour, is a mediaeval castle in Killearnan on the Black Isle, northern Scotland. It is so named from the colour of the stone of which it is built. The castle is now in a state of ruinous disrepair, although it is protected as a category B listed building.

The present building is dated 1641 but incorporates earlier work of rubble and ashlar masonry which is typically associated with older structures. Additionally, the castle was remodelled in the 19th century by William Burn. The estate was bought by Colonel H.D. Baillie in 1838 and passed into the ownership of the family of Lord Burton of Dochfour. The castle was requisitioned by the army during World War II and was finally vacated and part stripped in the 1950s.

Redcastle was until relatively recently one of the oldest inhabited houses in Scotland. The structure has a L-shaped floor plan and is approximately 3-stories. It no longer has a roof.

The present building is dated 1641 but incorporates earlier work of rubble and ashlar masonry which is typically associated with older structures. Additionally, the castle was remodelled in the 19th century by William Burn. The estate was bought by Colonel H.D. Baillie in 1838 and passed into the ownership of the family of Lord Burton of Dochfour. The castle was requisitioned by the army during World War II and was finally vacated and part stripped in the 1950s.

Notes:
1.  He received from his brother the 8th Earl of Douglas, the lands of Rattray, Aberdour, and Crimond in Aberdeenshire, that of Dunsyre, Lanarkshire, and those of Ardmanach (Modern Redcastle, between Tore and Muir of Ord) and Ormonde, (modern day Avoch) in Invernesshire. He had been created Earl of Ormonde 10 years earlier, and the lands were probably tansferred at about that time.

Source

 

Sources for this article include:
  • Historic Environment Scotland.
  • Unearthing Redcastles hidden history; Colin Macleod

    Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






  •  

    Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Tuesday, 01 February 2022