Burnbrae, Dunbartonshire

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

Burnbrae, New Kilpatrick Parish, 1860
This Name applies to a superior dwelling to which a Farm Steading is adjacent, and is generally - both steading & dwelling, described as the property of Burnbrae.
The occupiers make use some[times] of the distinctions of Burnbrae House & Burnbrae Farm but these are not more than distinctive titles of their own, which are unnecessary in this case. "Burnbrae" is the property of Mr. McAllister Douglas.

Burnbrae Dye Works
A small establishment for dyeing Yarn at which about 30 persons are employed. Some little printing of the Yarn is done here also, but not generally, the trade he[re is] for yarn dyeing. The Tenant is not desirous of having Printing mentioned in the description of the place. It is the property of Mr McAll[ister] Douglas. The Name has not been written to the works as it may be [now].
P. Nelson, Tenant; William Cumming, Manager


Captain McAlister Douglas, Burnbrae Estate, Dunbartonshire inherited the estate through his wife, Agnes, eldest daughter of Archibald Douglas, Laird of Burnbrae.

A Will Instruction from Archibald Douglas which reads He has left the Burnbrae estate to his son James, if no heirs to his daughter Agnes, if no heirs to his second daughter Marion, if no heirs to his youngest daughter Margaret if no heirs to his brother William (residing at Burnbrae) if no heirs to his other brother Joseph if no heirs. to his sister Janet. Janet married a Robert Hay in 1764.

It seems neither James nor Agnes had children as the estate passed to Marion (or Mary Anne) and her husband Rev. John Campbell Bryce.  Their son Archibald changed his name to Bryce-Douglas.

On the 13th of May, 1568, the owner of Burnbrae and a certain John Alanson or Allison of Blackmailing took part in the Battle of Langside; the latter lost his life on that occasion ["History of the Parish of West or Old Kilpatrick", John Bruce, 1893; facsimile re-published in 1995].



Source

 

Sources for this article include:
  • Scotland's Places



  • Any contributions will be gratefully accepted






  •  

    Back to top

     



    The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

    The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

    As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

    Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

    Contact Us

    Last modified: Tuesday, 01 February 2022