The Douglas family of the Standard Theatre

Click here to 
Print this page

Biography finder

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

 

 

Index of first names


This page is a stub.  You can help improve it.

The National Standard Theatre was built on the site of the Royal Standard Public House and Pleasure Gardens, and first opened in 1837, it was situated opposite the Eastern Railway Station.

The Theatre was rebuilt in 1844 by Messrs Johnson and Nelson Lee, who was the former manager of the Pavilion Theatre, Whitechapel. They demolished the old Standard Theatre and rebuilt it on a much larger scale.

The new Standard Theatre opened in January 1845 and a few months later the Illustrated London News reported on the Theatre in their 17th of May 1845 edition saying:- 'The East-enders have now their Amphitheatre, or Cirque Olympique, for equestrian performances, which the proprietors of the New Standard Theatre have just provided for, in a novel and ingenious manner.

Johnson and Nelson Lee relinquished control of the Standard Theatre in May 1848 at the end of the season. The new lessee and eventual owner was Mr John Douglas, previously of the Marylebone Theatre, who remodeled and redecorated the Standard Theatre during the recess from May to September, and reopened it on September the 30th 1848. Johnson and Lee Nelson later took over the lease of the City of London Theatre in Bishopsgate.

The Standard Theatre was destroyed by fire a few decades later, on October the 28th 1866, but was then rebuilt by John Douglas the following year and it reopened in December 1867 with a seating capacity of 3,000. The Building News and Engineering Journal reported on the soon to be erected Theatre in their 5th of July 1867 edition saying:- 'The foundation stone of a new theatre upon the site of the Standard Theatre, burnt on October 28, 1866, took place yesterday afternoon.

Mr. John Douglass later purchased the freeholds of some adjoining property, and thus obtains room enough to build a theatre larger than any one in London, excepting Her Majesty's.

• John T. Douglass (sic), manager of the Standard Theatre, wrote 'Joan Eyre or Poor Reltions in 1879, under the pseudonym 'James Williing' Born December 1842. John Thomas Douglas was killed in a German air raid on 13th January 1917.  His father, born 1814, had 21 siblings, including Thomas and George.

•  Mrs. John Douglas was born in 1850 in England as Amy Steinberg. She was an actress, known for In Another Girl's Shoes (1917). She was married to John Douglass (playwright, producer). She died in November 1920 in London, England. Died: November, 1920 in London, England, UK Birth Name: Amy Steinberg

•  John Douglass (playwright, producer) (? - 13 June(1) 1917) (his death) (Amy's husband)

•  In December 1878, the family became the owners of Park Theatre, in Camden Town.

•  Among popular plays produced was A passage in the Life of Grace Darling

•   Lambert Chambers, the 7-times Wimbledon champion, was a grand-daughter of John and Amy.

•  John Thomas's son, (Samuel) Richard, moved his scenery painting business in Islington when the Douglas family sold up in December 1888.

Notes:
1. Or January 1917?

 

Sources

 

Sources for this article include:

•  Jane Eyre on Stage, 1848–1898: An Illustrated Edition of Eight Plays
•  The Standard Theatre of Victorian England, By Allan Stuart Jackson
•  Arthur Lloyd

Any contributions will be gratefully accepted





Back to top

 



The content of this website is a collection of materials gathered from a variety of sources, some of it unedited.

The webmaster does not intend to claim authorship, but gives credit to the originators for their work.

As work progresses, some of the content may be re-written and presented in a unique format, to which we would then be able to claim ownership.

Discussion and contributions from those more knowledgeable is welcome.

Contact Us

Last modified: Sunday, 02 June 2019